It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-08-04

One more lesson

Today was a lesson in not giving people what the ask for.

Me: "What OS do you need on the system?"

Them: "Whatever you think is best."

Me: "Linux, right?"

Them: "Yup."

Me: "I'll put the latest version on for you."

Them: "Perfect."

Two days of "This isn't working" and rebuilds later, I ended up setting the system up like another system they had that had been working before. Should have done that in the first place.

I let myself get way too upset over this. it is honest work. I can't expect everyone to know what they need in these kinds of situations. I didn't know what they needed. I find myself asking people what worked before or what is working elsewhere when they tell me they need a system setup. This do it four or five times stuff is annoying.

1 comment:

Snake said...

Kelly, this is why bureaucracy was invented, unfortunately. Email them asking how they want the system setup, that way when they reply you will have documentation to rub in their face :) Or have them fill out a work request tracker (ticket). Or better yet, if they want a particular system setup, please please tell those lazy bozos to go frikkin install it themselves. I assume you set this up for computer engineers :)