It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-05-17

Overclocking

I got to learn a bit about overclocking processors. It turns out it is much easier than it used to be. It is still a bit beyond my expertise. I'm still out of my depth a bit. I can hang with the automatic settings, but until I have a pile of processors to blow up, I'm not going to push it far beyond the healing edge. Some systems have mouse driving BIOS setup software running. How cools is that. I suppose that is what the big bucks buy you these days.

If you are running windows, you can throw the automatic diagnose and adjust switch in the software. It runs a bunch of tests, adjusts the system. It then reboots an repeats until the tests say the system is as fast as it can go and still be stable.

Our end result needs to be linux. Hopefully, the settings persist after we put an OS on the system. I believe we will need to leave windows on the system in a patrician just to run the over clocking software. Only time will tell.

At least I learned some things. let the automatic stuff run. Don't play with the BIOS until you learn what you are doing. That is, until it doesn't work.

We still have some testing to do in Linux.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice article.

I wonder how many points per day (ppd) the new Ivy Bridge overclock will generate on folding@home?

ashane
http://diekittymaschine.blogspot.com/