It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-05-30

The Holiday that wasn't

The company I work for does not give us the day off for Memorial Day. We get other perks. Yes, it sucks on Memorial Day to trudge in, but it is not so bad to get the week between Christmas and New Years day off. Give, take.

The building we are in has a holiday schedule. They do not run the AC and they make everyone sign in. It is funny to look at the sign in sheet and every single name except one is my company. The AC was the worse part. We were supposed to have AC today. Something didn't work right. I have an excuse to do things in the lab. The labs have their own cooling system on the roof. I do not envy the office folks. It all got straightened out after a while.

I did get some sympathy from the family yesterday. I was not the only one who had to go in today. A couple guys from the fish fry yesterday and a couple more guys riding the bus this morning also had to go in.

Though, one of the guys was headed to the north side of Houston on the bus just to attend a BBQ at a friend's place. I hope his friend appreciates the effort he is putting in. He and I spoke of my grandfather and is great uncle who both fought in WW II. We also spoke of marriage, church, bicycles, cars, weather and sunglasses. I'm going to miss that crazy bastard.

The busses are on Sunday schedule. Fortunately, the bus I rely on is a mall buss and runs on Sunday on a reasonable schedule. Many of the side street busses just don't run on Sunday. Not sure how people are going to deal with it. I suppose they will do what I would do and walk the gaps if they can. The bus was packed. People were standing. It looked like people were headed to work and play. You know, people stuff.

Grumbling aside, it is not so bad.

Traffic was pretty much nil. We had the lunch place to ourselves. The rest of the building was hot all day. We had to enter through the back door. Quiet. Not many calls today, even from people in my company. Odd

No comments: