It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-04-06

Plot, point or fake it

I'm trying to come up with ideas for shooting a video. I got a compliment on the simple fifteen second video I shot that was really just a test of me doing a simple clone shot. The clone didn't even say anything. I did it as a learning experience and went ahead and put it up just because I spent so much time on it.

What I learned

  • The camera must be left absolutely still. Any movement, even a pixel or two, will pop the illusion like a soap bubble. My mini tripod is very easy handy and very easy to knock off by a tinny bit. Even hitting record might be enough to blow the shot. That is why pros use fifty pound tripods and put sand bags on the feet.
  • KDENLive lets you use the arrow keys to line up shots lying on top of each other.
  • Timing is impossible when playing both the sides of a conversation. Lining up two sides of a conversation that both involve you talking is going to take a lot of creative editing. The side doing the talking is going at normal speed. The side not talking will have to be slowed down or sped up if possible to make up the difference. Keeping track of this in your head while the camera is on you is taxing. This is where a producer or director would come in handy. Just having someone there ticking off the seconds until you answer a question would be great.
  • A vertical line running down the middle of the set is nice. It gives the actor(s) a visual queue of their limits. In the previous video I split the scene on the right side of the door frame. That was the line to avoid. It was handy when editing because it let me make sure I lined up from top to bottom.

I have thought about interviewing myself. I have no idea what to ask or answer. Another idea was to tap out a drum beat on one side and do a little dance on the other. That would just be stupid. The timing issue would be all but solved though because keeping a beat is not nearly as difficult. I would have to find a metronome or something to keep me in line since I cant keep a beat in a jar.

No comments: