It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-03-25

Linux on a PPC Mac

For the first time today I attempted to install Linux on a PPC Mac. We have a development reason to want a PPC Mac with Linux on it. I learned quite a bit. Some useful, some just annoying.

  • To eject a CD on a Mac with a PC keyboard attached, hold down the f-12 button.
  • To Boot a Mac off CD, hit the 'c' key at boot.
  • Fedora 12, the latest PPC Fedora, kept downloading as corrupted. Switched to Ubuntu.
  • Ubuntu boots, but no video. dammit!

At 15:00 I got a not that a new user is coming on Monday. Normally, I get a couple weeks notice. Found out at 16:00 or so that I didn't need a desktop, only a laptop. That made things much easier. Then someone calls me wanting a release at 16:30. [expletive deleted]!!!! I'm not pulling this shit. Give me a little warning. From now on, they call me after 15:00 on a release, it better be a customer breathing down their neck. It is even worse on Fridays because that is when people dump shit on the IT guy. I've already met my 40 hours, most likely yesterday.

No comments: