It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-03-16

Dead equipment policy

Someone stopped me in the hall and asked me what was our dead cable policy. I told him to toss the cable. Now, there is a process in my mind on what to do with dead equipment. I believe this is the policy in bullet form.

  • Do not leave broken equipment lying around. This is the most important rule. Productivity can be lost multiple times over for one $0.35 dead connector that people simply refuse to toss. This can kill not only work hours, but other equipment. Make sure the broken equipment is not reused without knowledge of its state.
  • Will it be missed?
    • Does it need to be replaced directly? (one to one and right now)
    • What do we need to do differently to prevent the break in the future?
    • Don't leave equipment idle for the lack of a single pice.
    • Make sure any spares are replaced. Don't just take the last of anything without telling the correct person.

Don't leave it lying around, but don't just throw something away. Follow up on it. I suppose my policy is "Think!" That never works.

No comments: