It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-02-02

Wifi and mirrors

I would like to do some experimentation with mirrors and wifi access points. I have a friend who has a ton of mirrors in his home. He has gaping holes in his wifi coverage. I've read somewhere that you can cut wifi signal by using a small mirror right next to the antenna of your access point. I imagine the mirror needs to be just large enough to blank out the enter antenna.

This could come in handy at our work place. We have several wireless access points and some conflict. Even with channel shuffling, we have some issues. I wonder if there is something we could do with mirrors that would help or just get in the way. Honestly, most of the access points are near the outside of the building pointing inward. Any mirror play would simply cause holes of coverage.

Also, the mirror may just cause signal echoes. This would not help at all. The way my friend describes his wifi is "It comes and goes. You can watch the signal slowly climb, then slowly fall."

Wifi is a pain in the ass. I am IT at my work. Every five minutes I get a call that someone's wifi is on the blink. Typically, their computer has chosen to latch on to an access point miles away instead of the one sitting on their desk. There is no automatic roll like on mobile phones. With mobile phones, the tours have brains and tell the phone to switch to the next tour. I believe a signal is sent to the next tour to accept the phone as the transition happens.

No comments: