It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-02-15

Discovered

Someone asked me if I put content on the internet in order to be "discovered" and thus become famous. The answer is no. Here are a couple of reasons this is the wrong way of doing things.

  • I'm not nearly talented enough to make being discovered do me any good.
  • There is gigatons of crap on the internet. What I'm putting up will never put my head above this sort of noise.
  • All the people who make it work are all in co-hoots. They seem to pull each other up by the boot straps. It is the same old story. It isn't your talent, but your address book that gets you in the game.

There is a guy who goes by Shay Carl on YouTube who is making a go at becoming famous. He is doing the YouTube vlogging thing. However, he is also doing the getting discovered thing. He is doing acting in little bits of thing. He mentioned a bit part on "No Ordinary Family" soon. I hear that show is on the skids, but he might make it on the small screen before it is out the door.

There is another couple doing something similar. The guy is Charles Trippy. He has a major in communication and is the only person with that degree who is putting it to good use. They are in Florida at the moment, until his wife to be graduates. I'm confident they will high tail it for Calli or New York after that.

I don't really like Shay's vlog. I watch because I'm learning. I do like Charles' vlog while learning there as well. They both have gazillions of followers. I have 19.

Both of those folks are doing a more or less every day kind of vlog. That just seems like over kill to me.

There is another guy called Philip Defranco who does kind of a news show. He is not every day. I've noticed, he is not waiting around to be discovered. He appears to have opened his own studio. Honestly, with the exception that he appears to be killing himself with over work, this is the way to do it.

One thing all these folks have in common, none of them have a day job. They consider the vlog to be their day job. Some of them are making enough to call it a day job. More power to them.

No comments: