It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-01-25

Wireless network

Played with a USB wireless network adapter today. We have a need at work. It works like a champ. As a matter of fact, it worked better than many built in wireless adapters in laptops. That upsets me. I've read in a couple of places that anything with an antenna will out perform anything without a dedicated antenna. All wireless devices have some kind of antenna. My experience tells me this is true.

When I was in to citizen band radio, I learned just a little bit about antennas. You can have the most massive power amplifier (foot warmer, socks) and get out talked by the guy who has a well grounded top center mount antenna with a stock CB.

The same appears to be true about wireless network adapters. The devices with the antennas tend to be cheaper. I believe this is because they do not need to make it higher quality in order to make up for a hidden antenna. Perhaps this makes the idea of having an antenna seem like a cheap cop out. It is not.

People tag me every five minutes saying their wireless is messed up. The problem is that they have connected to an access point on the other side of the building and every time someone sneezes they get kicked off. Or, they are connected, but they do not get an IP address. Or, Someone switched on a microwave and blew out the entire electromagnetic spectrum for three blocks. Gotta have that burrito right now.

The more I use wireless, the less impressed I am with it. It is unreliable and unstable. It is insecure and probably causes cancer and sterility. I bought a $20 router at the house. It does not have an external antenna. I'm trying to cover my house and not much more.

No comments: