It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-01-20

Odd memory

I have this memory from my youth. It is of a line of old houses. The paint was flaking on many. The ground was muddy. The trees had no leaves. The trees were black and had no leaves. The air was clear and cold. The street was dirty. The sun was very bright. The air was wet.

I was with my parents. We were headed somewhere. This was in front of where we lived. I was looking away from the house. I do not remember the house, but I do remember this scene.

The wind was blowing. There was an engine running in the distance. There was a hiss of a busy road. Someone was standing not far behind me talking in that not important way. I do not remember what was said.

There were items in the front yards. I know some of them were toys of other children. I do not remember details of the toys except at least one of them was white and lay across the street.

This is one of the most vivid memories of my very young life. I think I was three. As I get older, I'm sure 95% of this scene is my mind recreating everything as I go. It doesn't matter if I'm honest. The scene is the definition of beautiful.

One thing I know is that everything in the scene is clear as a bell. I had astigmatism even as a child so what I really saw must have been blurry in that smear kind of way that only astigmatism can produce. Not in my mind's eye thought. It is a postcard perfect memory. How awesome is that?

No comments: