It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-01-27

Day(s)

Work (yesterday)

Before I left the office, I realized I was completely frazzled. I was making mistakes and highly frustrated. One of the things I had been working on was straightening out the wifi network at work. Perfectly normal thing to do. I walked around and marked the locations and hookups of all the access points. One of the bits of data I gathered was the wifi channel of each access point.

One thing you can't get from standing at the wifi device is the IP address of the wire network connection. Someone needs to fix this. Between the settings on the device and my past notes, I extrapolate which device has which IP. There is one gaping flaw in my plan. My phone has some wire crossed. It does not report the correct wifi channel. That's right. My phone is off on the channel numbers somehow. It took me two hours of hair tugging stress and freaking out to figure out that my phone was lying to me.

Lesson learned. Do not rely on my shitty G1 to tell me wifi channel numbers. This is what took the wind out of my sails before heading to DnD. I really just wanted to crash.

DnD (yesterday)

I went to DnD last night. The guys are playing the old die ten version of Oriental Adventures. The rules make much better sense. They switched to 3.5 DnD rules when that rule set came out. The trouble is, Wizards of the Coast basically abandon those rules when they came out with 4 rules. I have a feeling that there will be a grassroots movement to expand and update the 3.5 rules.

Someone brought a really nice bottle of scotch. I forget the brand. It was smooth sipping whiskey. Which I did. I was so drained from my adventures earlier in the day that I just didn't have the strength to make a character. This ended up being a good thing. I hung out, took some video. We had a great time. We had Jimmy John's sandwiches. It was a fun evening.

A friend and I texted back and forth for a bit. She loves DnD. She is a more hard core player than I. She knows the rules better than I do as well. I can tell she is excited to find an old friend (me) to yap with on the subject.

Until .. I get a phone call from Nat. A friend' of ours 14 year old is having trouble breathing and severe abdominal pain. They are headed to the emergency room. Any chance I can get a ride home? Well, Bill ended up giving me a ride home. We owe that man a lot. He has pulled our fanny's out of a couple cracks.

So, I left the game early. Probably a good thing. I was feeling tired.

Trip home (yesterday)

Walked outside. Noticed how quite the neighborhood that my friend lives in really is. I could hear a siren in the distance. I could hear the rush of traffic from Brier Forest several blocks away. Other than that, 3 cars went by in the 20 minutes I stood on the corner waiting for Bill.

The rest of the story (yesterday)

Got home and moved the video files off the camera. Watched some YouTube and went to bed.

Nat didn't come home until after I was in the shower to go to work. She gave me a ride in. That is every day this week. Not sure what is up with that. I do appreciate it. Maybe she just likes having me trapped away from the computer. I'm not beyond noticing this.

Morning (today)

It was hard to get out of bed this morning. It was more difficult than normal I should say.

Spent most of the day messing with wireless settings and issues. I hate wifi and wireless. At least now I know to drag a laptop around and check things before leaving them in place.

I was able to get my phone to start reading the correct channels by turning it off and turning it back on. This is ridiculous. There is no reason a reboot should fix this issue. I refuse to entertain the idea that this makes any kind of sense.

Once that issue was resolved things started falling in to place. We are in a multiple story building. We are in the middle. Let me tell you, every one and their dog has an access point or fifteen going.

Lunch (today)

Skipped it.

Afternoon (today)

We had tea time this afternoon for the first time in a long time. At 15:00 we pile in to the lunch room and talk about non work related topics for 15 minutes. This is work permitting of course. Some British guy who used to work here fifteen years ago or so got the tradition started. We haven't been doing it for well over a year. There is some kind of drive these days to do team building. That hasn't happened in a long time at this company either. I like it.

For the last fifteen minutes or so before we left for the exercise, I was a bit brain dead.

We ended up at Dave and Buster's. I'm not big on video games. I did take some video footage. I do not intend to put it up on the internet. I will put together a video for work consumption. It should be fun to show around at work. And to think, I almost called in sick after not getting a wink of sleep all night.

Got home. Edited up the DnD footage. Once it was on YouTube and the blog entries were up, I went to bed. It should feel like two nights of sleep tonight.

No comments: