It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-12-31

Why are the skinheads fighting each other

I remember this question in high school. It was one of the few culture kind of questions I knew the answer to even back then. There are two kinds of skinheads. The racist skinheads and straight edge skinheads. There may be even more genera of skinheads. Some might just be cancer patients. That makes for an interesting rumble image in my mind.

Straight Edge skinheads

Racist skinheads

It ain't just Russia. The U. K., Germany, France I've heard stories from all of them about skinheads. I have my own experiences in East Texas.

This just illustrates my point about more than one kind of skinhead. Every group of people seems to have this element of violence that, given the opportunity, will show itself and fight for something. Jews have put up a fight. Blacks have put up a fight. Muslims have put up a fight. Everyone will eventually put up a fight even if they think they are not capable. Maybe not on a person by person level. Someone from a group will want to fight for, or in the name of that group.

I have no opinion on whether this makes things right or wrong. Some people think all fighting is bad. What about a group of pacifists? Blah. I'm not deep enough to cover all the bases here. Someone will make a stand. So, if you are oppressing someone, prepare for it.

2 comments:

That Hank said...

Straightedge means you don't drink or do drugs. It has nothing to do with racism or skinheads. Real skinheads came from England in the late 60s and were a mix between the styles of the more working class side of the mod scene and the rude boys/reggae and ska fans that immigrated there from Jamaica and other islands. In the 80s, talk shows and racist groups created the image of the neo-nazi skinhead and bald racists followed that trend. Real skinheads can call ourselves by many labels (trad or traditional skins, SkinHeads Against Racial Prejudice [SHARP], bootboys, trojan skins, or just regular ol' skinheads), but we call racists boneheads.

zhsy00001 said...

Yup. I agree. However, the two groups of "skinheads" at my high school fought with each other and the local cops and school authorities had no idea why for the longest time. They did fight. They did all have short hair, if any. That was all the grumps saw.