It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-11-03

16G not enough

Sometimes a 16 gigabyte thumb drive just doesn't help much.

I spent most of my morning trying to get a DVD burner to work in Windows XP over a USB. It works fine in Linux. We couldn't hook it to a windows box to save our lives. We had a hard time getting the over 4 gigabyte ISO files from one network to the other.

I had to format my USB drive NTFS. I had to boot a computer in Ubuntu to do that. I can format a USB drive as NTFS in Ubuntu Linux, but not Windows or Red Hat. I cannot access the NTFS file system via Red Hat linux. We have no computers capable of reading ext3 or ext4 on the internet. This makes the USB drive all but useless to me for hauling files from home to work, mostly podcasts. Frigging ISO files are over the 4 gigabyte limit for FAT.

The error you get is "Disk full", not your files are too frigging big for the shit lowest common denominator file system you used. Come on. I need an error message that tells me something useful. It would be nice if it didn't wait until it copied 3.99 gigs to the drive before giving the error.

No comments: