It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-10-13

Ubuntu 10.10 second look

Some good some bad.

KDENLive

The slightly newer version of KDENLive available on Ubuntu 10.10 now supports the audio codec that my Canon uses. This means, I can just drag a file off my camera on to the hard drive, then straight in to the KDENLive software that I use for editing. I can skip the step of converting the audio track to MP3 that I've had to do since I got the camera. I forgot how nice it is to do this. The Flip worked, but I carry the Cannon 940.

H264 works! Well, sort of. It is not grayed out. It rips the video just fine. The sound comes out like a robot voice. I'm sure this is a setting or value out of place somewhere. This could probably be fixed with a tweak in a config file somewhere. Ubuntu is notorious for not fixing anything until the next major release which, injects a ton of little shit.

GPodder

GPodder is broken. It has all my paths. It downloads the podcasts. It does not find any devices. Not only does it not find any devices, but the screen under properties where the settings are supposed, there is a link that say something like "Go here and bitch until they fix it." Classy.

I can still go manually copy the downloaded files from the storage folder to the device. The device is a USB thumb drive that I mule back and forth to work where I listen to the podcasts.

Mouse Pointer

The mouse pointer size works on my desktop, but my server, which I connect to via VNC, it does not. Not sure what all that is about. The video card may actually have something to do with it.

Conclusion

Eh. Shit happens. I'm so happy the video editing is working better that I'm calling it a win. Baby steps.

No comments: