It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-10-20

TV as a monitor

When I was a kid, I had a Commodore 64. It plugged straight in to the TV via an RCA cable. The same thing happened with the Atari. My dad complained that the switch the selected the two inputs was causing the picture to blur.

Today and over the last couple of days, I've been trying to get a couple monitors in one of our conference rooms to work on a PC. They are some LCD TVs that advertise they work on computers. They have VGA connectors and HDMI connectors. I have tried both the VGA and the HDMI from a DVI video card. They all work, but some better than others.

One of the TVs has a delay in the motion no matter how I change the settings. It has a PC game mode with a setting that says something like "high speed" that still has a nasty delay between the movement of the mouse and the motion on the screen. The other TV defaults to a PC mode when you plug in a VGA connection, but must be set to PC when using an HDMI connection. This makes me worry about what happens when you loose power. I didn't have time to play with it any more this afternoon.

The top resolution of both monitors is 1920x1080. That is just not good enough for monitors as large as these. They should be 3000x1500 (whatever the magic numbers are) or better. I'm not the first to complain about HDTV causing monitors to top out at a specific number with resolution. You practically have to buy a monitor designed for medical equipment to get a large screen with higher resolution. The stations used by the folks who fly UAV recon and attack aircraft use extremely high resolution monitors.

No comments: