It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-09-15

G1

One of my coworkers has a G1 phone like mine at work. He has had no signal since yesterday at around quitting time. He has done all the tricks like resetting the SIM card and battery. He asked me about it because I had reported a problem with min in the past. My issue was the GPS antenna coming off the back of the phone (under the back cover). His issue sounds more like a transmitter or antenna problem. He can still get wireless. I told him to call T-Mobile and make sure they didn't switch off his phone thinking it was someone else's number by mistake.

I just happened to stop last night in a T-Mobile store and look at some of the new phones. Every other phone is an Android based system. They all look a bit different. They all have their own gimmick to sell that phone over the other guys.

Basically you have some trends. Big screen for a phone. Small, screen, but fits in a pocket with smoothed edges. Those are all one piece, but you also have phones with physical keyboard, but they are thicker.

They all run the same OS. What keeps people from just buying the cheapest one? The answer is not much. They all seem to cost the same amount at the moment. At some point someone is going to come out with a discount version of an Android phone. Then you will get a price war.

Do not get a G1. They suck.

No comments: