It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-08-25

Kelly's day

Just what did Kelly spend his day doing? Well, I pretty much got one thing done today. I found a cable.

    o [device]
        - Windows software on my internal windows machine.
            + Double checked the com port in the bios.
            + Tried multiple com ports and speed settings even though the manual specifies which ones to use.
        - Linux, Kevin had set this device up before on his system. We tried his system, via the com port with no luck.
        - Tried capturing the Ethernet packets with wiresharc.
            + connected to full network.
            + on isolated hub via 10/100 base T switch with no luck.
            + Verified that plugging in a working network device (my windows machine) did work in the same configuration.
            + Tried computer to computer Ethernet hookup.
            + Dan and I double checked the DNS and DHCP settings for the IP. That end looks like it is set properly.
        - Verified that the serial cable I'm using is a straight throughput cable and not a NULL (asked Adrian and Don). The manual says to use this kind of cable.
    o Jeff did check the power supply for output and it appears to be in spec.
    o There is still a missing serial cable that came with the device.
        - found the cable, worked.

We had a very expensive piece of equipment take a powder. It refused to work or respond. There is a serial port and an Ethernet port on this thing followed closely by a bunch of lights. I downloaded a bunch of information and found our copy of the software. Then I scratched and clawed for five or six hours trying to get it to frigging talk to me.

We tried a couple of serial cables. It says in the doc that a null modem will not work. You need a straight through serial cable. I thought that is what I was using. Nope. I went so far as to ask one of our hardware folks to put a meter on the cable to make sure pins 2 and 3 were not swapped (null modem cable). Things started looking up quickly once Kevin found the cable that came with the device.

The idea of getting information off the device was a complete wast of time That took the lion's share too. The device was set to all zeros for IP information. This means, apparently, that the device stoops trying to communicate over the network.

Now that cable, the manual, and a CD with the software on it are parked on my shelf with a "Do not steel!" label attached. it is about time we started documenting things a bit better than "So and so did that last time. Ask them." Meh!!

Kelly saves the day. Well crap. Jeff said "I was told that if any one could do it, you could." This is kind of boosting to the ego, but now I'm even more the go-to guy for off the wall strange stuff that is broken. Really, all I did was track down the correct cable. Is this a good thing?

No comments: