It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-08-19

Causation -> result

Irony is a foreign concept to so many people. I'm going to give an example of non irony.

We had an email problem. People's email would hang for a bit and loose connection. Then it would come back. This happened a couple times a day.

I sent someone an email explaining we were working on it and close to a possible solution. The problem happened as I hit send. This is not irony. This is coincidence. Mostly because I don't think my email initiated this episode of the issue.

Irony would be if the the problem were caused only by people complaining about the problem.

A black fly in your glass of wine is not ironic. If you are drinking the glass of wine to celebrate having exterminated all the black flies and ended up with a black fly in your glass of wine, that is ironic.

No comments: