It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-07-12

Podcasts

I managed to blow away my podcasts today because of a lack of a semicolon. I so hate that.

My normal process is as follows.

  • Download the files at the house.
    • Somehow only download one file and not notice.
  • Put them on my thumb drive.
    • Forget to put the files on the drive (sync) before I go to bed.
    • Leave the drive at home.
  • Copy the files off the drive to my hard drive at work.
    • Blow away the files.
    • Copy all the files to the wrong spot and not discover it for a week.
    • Copy the files all to one folder, thus making it a pain in the butt figuring out what file is what podcast.

You get the idea. Ironically, washing the drive in the laundry didn't do crap to the data on the drive. The plastic broke on the back, but my files were still there.

Then comes things that are not my fault like the Gnome interface in Red hat 5.5 that we use at work will not let me remove files, even with rights, from the GUI. I have to remove files through the command line. This makes me do the whole thing from the command line. I must remember not to do command line stuff before coffee in the future.

I'm really starting to understand the attraction to having a dedicated device for this crap. Many smart phones, including mine, allow the gathering and playing of podcasts. I can't get the software to work and I do not have enough memory on my phone to do much good. There is always something. Maybe in my next phone. I'll still be too cheap.

No comments: