It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-07-12

Lament

If only I could sit in the grass and listen.
Where I live is beside a highway.
Beside a field of tall grass, full of bugs.
The ants own my yard.
Soon, I shall take it back. Soon.

If only I could go for a drive.
If only I could ride a motorcycle in the country.
Never been much on horses, but ride a horse too.
Find myself in a stream with my pants rolled up.
Watch the fish pass me by with more important things to do.

What ever happened to summer days playing in the dirt?
What happened to running in the heat?
What happened to waking up early just to be the first in the public pool?
I miss BB guns in walking down the bayou.
I never did steel a kiss from just any girl who would let me.

We played Dungeons and Dragons for entire weekends.
We learned how to program basic and pascal.
We helped poor driveways and build fences.
We did landscaping and mowed.
We taught ourselves to care about money.

Playing from dawn until dusk.
My parents had to beg me to come home.
We would conspire to waist time.
We would dream.
We explored our universe.

Now I'm older, summer is hot.
I miss summer, when it was cool.
I miss youth, a time when I did what felt right.
I'm still alive, does that count for much?
Youth is a state of mind, I need to get out there and play.

No comments: