It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-05-11

First couple hits are free

Keywords: internet business model content

I think I have stumbled on a business model that just might work for online content of a timely nature like news and hype items. I call this the little guy plays, big guy pays model.

Use an embed script that lets people embed stuff on their page. Don't charge for the first two hundred or so hits on day one. When someone goes over the limit, kill the content unless they have an account. The more hits they want on day one, the more it costs them. After a day or maybe two of sliding hit cost, make it available. It would depend on the content and context. Every business or industry will have t to find their sweet spot.

The little guy blogger is not the person you want to piss off. They may not have the eyeballs you are looking for, but if all of them bitch you out, it shows up on mass. The little guy blogger has a little guy (broke) attitude. I get a dozen hits a day on this blog. I'm not the wallet you are looking for. This blog is spillage.

You can charge the big guy blogger because they have the money and the big guy attitude that they do not want dead content turning up on their page.

I really think this might work if someone is willing to try it out. I'm not sure it is technically doable. Not sure how much effort it would take to count each embedded story hits and keep track of people's accounts. That sound like a piece of cake for a company like Amazon or Google to solve.

No comments: