It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-02-03

Setting up a work notebook

No, I do not get a notebook. I do get to set them up.

Had to call Dell on a laptop at work. The machine worked for a while and then stopped booting. The LEDs on the front of the system were blinking in a specific order. They had me re-seat the memory and in the short term, that seems to have worked. Easy Peasy. Thanks Dell. Hopefully, this is the last blog on the subject.

I nearly had to call Dell back because I couldn't figure out how to throw the switch to get the wireless activated. There is an LED that shows the activated wireless hardware. It was dim on this machine which means the wireless network is turned off.

I searched for a button. I searched for a symbol for the function system on the notebook keyboard. I finally asked Long, my roomy, to take a look because I was just plane missing it. It turns out you have to touch the LED. It is a button. It is part of flat plastic surface with a bunch of other LEDs that just screams "This is not a button."

Thanks Long.

It was all kind of a wash, because the laptop had some real problems and ended up getting sent back to Dell. We will get the same model back in like a month so I will have completely forgotten how to do it. Someone call me on it if I blog the same thing in three or four weeks. Long will probably yell at me.

Not too may problems like that from Dell for us. I would say we have had pretty good treatment of bad bits from Dell. I still feel confident recommending them to folks.

No comments: