It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-02-14

The internet sucks

Most podcasts use iTunes and nothing else. Yes iTunes is a pretty good piece of software, but if Apple decides they do not like you any more, you are out on your keister. Something that I've noticed over and over again is professional podcasts like tech magazines and notable web pages that should know better, screwing up the link that points to their non-iTunes podcast that is in MP3 format most likely. This happens repeatedly and in some cases for weeks on end.

Typically they will point to a web page that holds the link to the MP3. This does not work worth a shit in an aggregate program for podcasts outside of the iTunes sphere of influence.

Not long ago, one of the well known podcasters who runs Geek News Centrel, ran a survey of such quality issues across the podcast spectrum and found that [from memory] about a third of non iTunes links for podcast sites were broken. I believe it. Instead of recognizing an endemic issue, people yelled at him for exposing their own inadequacies and publishing the results. I believe that too.

Recently, Google has squeezed out another social media point of interest. They call it Google Buzz. I'm sure this is in memory of the now defunct Yahoo Buzz from a few years ago. Maybe not.

I hereby refuse to attend or indeed pay any attention to another social network site. I have too many to pay attention to right now. I use Facebook, Twitter, this blog, LinkedIn, Twitter, email, IM, face to face conversations, phone calls, text messages, screaming, smoke signals, preying, body language, dirty looks, smiles, hitting of solid surfices with my head, and TPoT (The Pitching of Toenails) to get my messages across. No more.

I am not going to add another thing to the list until something else falls off the list. When Facebook pisses me off, or Twitter gets banned from the planet again, we will talk.

No comments: