It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-01-23

Poker night

I had a chance to go to poker night over at a friend's place Friday night. I did not go because I don't have the $20 buy-in. It might have been fun just to turn up. It would have been nice to hang out with friends from work for a while. I don't get much of that.

Thursday was game night. I didn't go to that because I don't like staying out late on week nights. The rest of these people at my work all come in at 09:00 it seems. They are young and can survive on less sleep. I need to wind down after a day. I can pull it off on a Friday as long as I have no real commitments on Saturday. I'm not much in to board games and the like, but I do enjoy hanging out.

There is another factor in these social gatherings. Food. In addition to the $20 buy-in there would have been about a $10 cost for food. This $10 would have come in to play with the game night as well. I make [redacted] a year gross. That sounds like a lot to many people. I have $40,000+ in commitments not including taxes. We are a one income household. I'm broke. I have to worry about that $10 a couple times a week.

Several of the guys at work are single and living in a situation where they can spare it. Several others make enough money to spill $10 on a sandwich and a $20 friendly poker game.

I'm not asking for sympathy or a free sandwich. I just want people to understand why I don't shoe up at game and poker nights. I would love to hang out. I may pack a lunch on the next game night and just show up. If I don't play any games, it will still be fun.

No comments: