It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-01-22

Linux Kernel Notes

Building, this is psudocode

> make oldconfig
> make gconfig (if you need to make any changes.
> make
> sudo make install
> sudo make modules_install

Double check the /boot/grub/grub.conf to make sure the entries line up with paths in the /boot folder. Check the default is set properly. Sometimes a second make install and make modules_install to get the *.inf files to show up under /boot. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Red Hat 5 uses LVM (logical volumes) by default. The LVM2 library that comes with RH 5 is not computable with the 2.6.31 and up kernels. You must either update the LVM2 library (not recommended) or manually construct the patricians on install. Trouble continues for 5.3 and the 2.6.31 and up kernels. I could still not get modules to load properly. It looks like there is a lot of work headed my way. I can't find a whole lot on the internet about getting late model kernels running on RH 5.

No comments: