It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-01-18

Crusade vs Jihad (the words)

The word Crusade and Jihad are used so wrongly that it hurts. Bush used the word Crusade to mean a struggle. That is what many Muslims say about the word Jihad. It means a struggle that must be fought or overcome.

They are both illegitimate if you ask me. Since this is my blog, I'm asking.

As far as I'm concerned the word Crusade refers to the actions taken in the whatever century to hit the Middle East for invaiding the holy land.

As far as I'm concerned the word Jihad means the actions taken to enforce sharia law.

If you mean that something is very difficult and it is going to take an organized movement to achieve the end goal, then say so.  The emotional baggage that comes with these two words is a bad thing. The stress will not help your crusade/obsession for a stoplight at Fifth and Main.

This is a moving target. People don't seem to care about what words mean any more. I cannot tell you how often I hear news shows and print using "who" and "that" incorrectly. It drives me up the wall when professional communicators get it wrong and just don't seem to care. It is no wonder U. S. kids are learning nothing in school. We are a couple generations in to willful ignorance.

I'm not the brightest bulb on the block. I screw things up beyond comprehension. Ask Adam about me and the words "wonder" and "wander". I messed it up so much that I've messed him up. These are professionals. it makes me ill and it causes me to loose respect for modern news and media organizations.

No comments: