It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-12-19

The Making of Flanking Position episode 3

OK, this is just some video clips I threw together between counting off minutes for the folks in the shot. I missed the dog steeling the show.

I had to mute part of the video. I used KDEnLive. I could not get Avidemx to stitch several clips together without messing up. There is no one program on Linux that works for video editing. The 264 codec in KDEnLive is still broken, but I was able to get the MPEG4 codec to work which is close enough for YouTube.

Getting the better editor to work was a good thing because I needed to mute part of the audio. This was far more difficult than it sounds because KDEnLive will not play video. I had to render the video, play it, identify static visual queues to identify where to start and stop the muted section.  "He put his hand up on the table, He dropped his head a little bit." It was highly annoying.

The solution here is to buy a Mac. That just wouldn't be challenging. I bet the software for editing video on a Mac actually does what it says on the box. That is the biggest problem I have with all the software I've used. It is useless. If they work at all, they have a couple of functions that work and several things that just plane dont. And the list of stuff that works and doesn't work changes with every version and every version of the other libraries they depend on. If I had a choice, I would dedicate a box to editing video, learn how the OS and video editing software work together and then isolate the box and never up date it until the need out weighed the usefulness. What is the point in that? That is double the cost for hardware. I'm back to the Mac solution.

Trying to edit video in Linux blows and probably always will for the reasons mentioned above.

No comments: