It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-12-22

Last minute

Have I complained lately that I was supposed to start my vacation last Friday? I had to go in Monday and Tuesday this week. There was work that needed doing and I needed to do it. The company would have lost money if I hadn't done it.

Today, I was working on the thing that I was supposed to be working on. That thing is no secret. I do a bunch of the IT work at my job and we needed to replace several computers with new ones to declare the old computers no longer in use. This allows the company to take a deduction on the dead boxes.

Several computers had been replaced. I had to add three video cards to some computers because Dell is putting five year old video cards on the mother boards. They are ridiculous. I actually got a happy dance from one of the employees. That made it all worth while. The last thing I had to do was ge one of the computers back from one of the guys. He was waiting on a call from AutoDesk. I mentioned that in the notes. He will have to keep his old computer in a form that he can read a file off of, but we can still mark it as not being used.

"Cool I'm out of here." I shout. I pack my crap and start saying good buy and Merry Christmas to people.

Then I hear the big boss mention that they are moving some monitors around. I find out that three people get dual-headed monitors added to their computers. Why didn't I leave ten minutes ago? Hey, that's great. They have half hight slots and old crummy computers. I asked Wade if it needed to get done today and he shot me this look like I was nuts. "No." Was all he said.

I decided to not wait another second and just bailed.

Earlier that day I complained to someone who was already on vacation that I was being handed new tasks. I had to build a release and set up new machines that were not on my origonal list. There were other fixes I had to deal with. So few people seemed in anything resembling Christmas spirit.

He said "You have to say 'No.'"

He was right of course. I had been approved vacation. blah blah. It is all hopefully done now. Ther eare a couple things left for January, but there are always things left for tomorrow or next week.

I did get a thank you from someone I respect and a happy dance. I'm hanging on to those.

No comments: