It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-10-20

iPhone charger Fire

The following is a story from people I trust to not make things up.


As some of you may know, we had a pretty scary incident recently.  Attached are pictures of what remains of our 2007 Suburban.  We are all okay but I wanted to warn everyone not to make the same mistake I did.  
 
This fire resulted from leaving an Iphone charger/docking station plugged into the car outlet.  It overheated and started a fire, while parked in our garage.  PLEASE unplug anything you have in your car outlets once you turn off your car!
 
We were VERY fortunate that we accidentally found the fire, at 11pm, before going to bed and before it spread to the house.  None of our garage heat detectors or house fire alarms went off (another item to take care of on my to do list).  The boys, Jonathan and I were pretty freaked out but we're all enjoying our new car at least.
 
Feel free to pass this along to anyone you want.  Better safe than sorry.
 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where did this happen exactly? What city? And did any local media cover it? I'd like to follow up on it.

Thanks,

Sandi

Anonymous said...

Like you see this happen all the time. I'm skeptical. Most DC chargers have internal fuses, not to mention the fused circuits they're plugged into. Do you know how much amperage these devices draw? MILLIAMPS!! It's not much. Not calling anyone a liar here, but I think it was something other than a hot car charger. Jeez...it would have to be pretty darned hot to do that kind of damage!

El Paso County Scan said...

Looks like Snopes is already looking into it so maybe we'll get the full story soon:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/carcharger.asp