It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-09-02

Old is new again yay

I used to have an old black and white TV. It was small and beat up, but it was mine. It was in my room and it was mine. It had three knobs. VHF channel, UHF channel, and volume that also doubled as on and off. There were little recessed adjustment knobs on the back that set picture and the pitch of the sound.

I did not care. It was my TV. It was a little bit of freedom in my life that set me on my own. I could choose the one of five channels I wanted to watch. Color be dammed.

The volume adjustment slider bar on my computer at work does not work properly. It sticks and the left and right channel of audio just unhook randomly so half way through moving the bar the left and right volume snap to the wrong values. I

 do not know why , but this reminds me a bit of the TV from my childhood. The volume knob had to turned clockwise with a snap to activate the power of the TV. Then you advanced the knob farther clockwise to make the volume go louder. as the TV aged, you had to turn the volume knob far in to the loud range to get the speaker to kick in, then lower it anticlockwise to a reasonable level. It sucked, but it was my TV dammit.

My G1 phone, fresh off the cutting edge of 3G technology, requires me, when answering a phone call, to advance the volume all the way to the highest level before turning it down to a reasonable level. Ridiculous poor testing. At least my old TV was old and physical parts were warring out from use. This G1 bit of personality is a result of poor product testing and a lack of the will to make something good. Something that works.

When pressing the volume buttons, the real system volume level is either added to or subtracted from as needed. If the volume is already at the highest level then the plus (volume up) button is ignored. What is happening on the G1 is the minus button to lower the volume is pressed, but the real system volume is ignoring the action for whatever reason. The progress bar on the screen that reports the volume graphically goes down all the way if you keep pressing the minus button, but the real system volume remains high. Not until you pres the plus button to raise the volume all the way to the loudest level and the progress bar is all the way to the right can you then actually lower the system volume by pressing the minus button.

Poor testing. Bad form Google. Bad form company that makes the G1. Bad form T-Mobile. No one tested this. Fail.

No comments: