It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-07-06

Radio Blues

I triple checked my mobile phone account and I have an unlimited data transfer rate. I'm sure it will still come back to bite me in the ass, but I tried to make sure I wasn't getting screwed too badly.

For a very long time I have had no internet connection at work. This is not that big a deal, We use intent machines in public areas. It is all to prevent distraction at work. Honestly, it hinders me getting my work done because I could just turn around and look things up without even thinking about it.

The one thing I miss from my old job is listening to internet radio. Now, I can listen to internet radio on my phone. This app called StreamSomething works like a charm. It even let's me listen to my old favourite music station Radio Paradise. I still cannot listen to BBC 5 Live, but who is counting? They won't let half their content out of the U. K. any way. Loosers.

There is one serious problem with listening to radio on my phone. The extended battery, the one that lasts twice as long as the stock battery, with a full charge, dies just after lunch. I ordered a splitter that may let me hook up a charger and headphones to the phone at the same time. This means I'll only have to commute on battery. That will work out nicely.

This situation drips with irony because My parent's just gave me a Laptop. Half the use of that laptop was going to be internet radio at work. The other half was going to be DnD and traveling around. Well, the phone thing works even better than the computer to be honest. I'll still get use out of the laptop, worry not.

As I was typing the paragraph above the order conformation came in for the splitter. Creepy.

Satellite radio is all but dead. They are trying to get in to the online radio thing. It may be too late. Radio stations will not transmit radio signals soon. They will all go to online streams. That is the only model that makes any sense.

I remember looking for a high definition FM radio. They do not make a hand held radio that i could find. The pickings are slim for any kind of HD radio. Right now it is a big thing for cars to come with Satellite radio. A friend's car has it. How much longer will it last?

There were a couple of appliances that hooked you in to online radio without much trouble. Not sure how they worked. I don't think they sold very well. With the advent of smart phones you don't need anything else. It is going to kill a dozen industries.

No comments: