It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-07-08

Google vs Microsoft

Google is finally coming out with their own operating system. It is about time. The Chrome browser will tun in to the Chrome OS. Good for Google. This means it doesn't matter if you come out with the OS first or start offering web services first, it all boils right back down to one company offering one set of solutions to encompass everything and milk the world for every last dime.

GooSoft, Microogle. Neither has a ring to it.

The only place in the computer manufacturing industry that is making a nickel at the moment is netbooks. Chrome will be aimed straight at that market. I wander how much of the os will come from Android and how much will come from say Linux or some other open operating system.

Not that I care much. I'm almost happy with my G1 phone that runs the Android OS. It needs flash big time. If it gets Flash, then the phone will be complete. I know there are alternatives to Flash, but no one uses them, so they don't count.

If you have been reading the blog, you know that I have little love for Microsoft. I use Google online stuff like the docs, email, and maps and such. Microsoft has software for all those needs, but you have to start with their operating system. Nothing from Microsoft works without their starting point. Will Google continue to offer open solutions that work on more or less any operating systems? Only time will tell.

Am I putting all my eggs in one basket? Well, kind of. I worry about that. I trust Google further than Microsoft to give me a way to copy everything down to a local backup that I can use with another bit of software. That is almost good enough to make me not worry. Not quite.

No comments: