It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-06-25

Ubuntu kind of freaked me out

I've used Ubuntu before. It still uses Gnome so the interface is similar. Worry not, there is a Kubuntu for the KDE fans out there. I hear it doesn't suck The user experience is not what freaked me out last night when I was converting my data over from one system to another.

First of all, there is not much conversion needed because most of my data files are OpenOffice. Ubuntu supports OO just fine. Not sure of versions. I'll have to deal with as I go.

No, what freaked me out is that I really only have one program left that I have to save a data file from in order to transfer straight across. This is Gpodder. It exports an OPML file that is the list of podcast information that allows me to keep track of my news. I put the file on my second drive, which I have not hooked back up yet. I install OSes with only the install drive hooked up because Linux in general freak out and put partitions all over the place if you don't go in and do thing by hand. So, I haven't verified that the OPML file works to save all my likes. I'm sure I'll blog it if things blow up in my face. I have the links saved in gdocs in a spreadsheet.

That's it. There are some OpenOffice docs, but everything else is in the cloud. That is, I use gdocs for most of my blog stuff. I use gdocs for most of my personal documents. Formatting sucks. I've tried tried to print anything yet. It is a for prophet company, so if it goes belly up I might just loose everything. I use it none the less.

This makes me wonder why people pay so frigging much for MS Windows on their desktop. What do people really use their computers for anyway? My phone does many tasks today that I used to need a computer to get done.  Next week the iPhone Car Wash app will come out and you will be able to sit in the shade and sip a mi-ti while it labors over a sudsy fender. ... Maybe not.

I use Google Reader for a feed reader or agrigator. This keeps track of what I have and have not read in the wonderful world of blogs.

Come to think of it, I haven't looked for espeak, the software that reds aloud to me. There are dozens of packages that do this, but I like espeak because it is simply drag and drop command line driven text reading. All the packages try to go beyond this and screw things up with complexity. There must be something that will work. I have also not tried playing the Divix movies. I remember getting them to work in Ubuntu the last time I used it so my confidence level is high on this one.

What did work right out of the box was Flash. I was able to watch YouTube and Hulu videos with the click of a mouse. All my old Firefox plugins just plane worked. Ubuntu has standard repositories for software that do not just jump forward to the bleeding edge of package versions. They wait for a bit to let some of the bugs get shaken out of the system. These are the "Not 1.0" repos. These are the one's I have hooked up at the moment. If it comes right down to it, I'm tired of things that don't work.

I got home at around 22:00 last night and went to bed around 0:45. It took me three tries to get the system installed because I had to convince myself to pull the second drive

it is my opinion that Fedora is a failed experiment.

No comments: