It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-04-07

Network Issues

Yesterday afternoon we had an issue with the network at work. The number of broken packets went through the roof. The experts started diagnosing the trouble. I started setting up a new machine in case we needed it. They got around to separating rooms off the network and figured out that there was one machine in one of the labs spewing garbage over the network. I mean it looked deliberate.

It turns out to be some messed up hardware. The amount of time lost is staggering. I tried to get some work done. Everything we do requires the network. That is normal. How many software companies out there can stand the network vanishing for three hours. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't take longer.

The solution was to unplug and dispose of the machine. I don't want to say the name for security reasons, but it was both appropriate and funny.

This is one time I think a baseball bat is called for in fixing the network.

No comments: