It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-03-26

Ktorrent Sucks, Long Live Deluge

Well, that or the Gnome Panel Notification Area sucks. One or the other. I vote both. Ktorrent is a KDE application and I'm using Gnome. That should tell you something right there.

When I got home last night I checked the downloads. Things were running fine. The power blinked and I had to restart the computer. When it came up, Torrent would not run. That is, it would not come up on the screen. It starts minimized in the system tray that is called Notification Area in Gnome. This time, the icon was not there.

I tired all kinds of stuff like Alt-Tab, command line parameters, removed the notification area and put it back, built a new panel, reboot, google alternate ways to maximize programs, Ktorrent was running (ps -ef(). There was just nothing to be done with it because the GUI was no longer accessible. Nothing worked. No good. I ended up loosing all my current torrents.

So, I use Deluge now. It doesn't suck nearly as much as Ktorrent yet. Give me time. I'll break it too eventually. It does come recommended by people who had the same problem I had. This seems to be the standard solution to the problem above.

No comments: