It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-02-01

USB boot drive

Several of our new boxes at work show up with no OS and no CD drive.  This is all an effort to save money. I'm all for that. It is annoying to try to put an OS on the box when the only device I have at the moment is a book full of CD/DVDs. Some folks are working on a PXE server which is great, but i guarantee it will not have everything I need.

So, I'm looking in to making some bootable USB drives to get things done as needed. I hop over to pendirvelinux for a look see. I like what I found.

To create a bootable USB drive with Knoppix as created in Windows, 5 steps. The same thing as created in Linux is 22 steps and has an additional 10 steps behind that. This kind of stuff is why Linux will never catch on. I have to say that I miss things that just work. I'm really tired of trudging through waist lands awash with command line business to get anything done.

The only step that should be forced upon me is to copy an ISO to a USB instead of a CD or DVD. I'm telling you, that should be all it takes to do exactly what I want.

No comments: