It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-11-04

Stinking Windows

There is a dead Windows box at work. Someone ran the wrong program on the hard drive and there is nothing left. Full rebuild. No floppy drive. No one buys floppy drives any more. Windows still frigging wants a floppy to install drivers during install. What is a IT-monkey to do?

Go to Dell and download the program that makes a flash key drive look like a floppy for just a minute. You put the key drive in a Windows box and nothing. You put the key drive in a Linux box and it comes right up. Go figure. It took me four hours to track down that fact that the Sony key drive does not work with the little Dell utility. I lost half a day on the fact that I didn't have an extra spare key drive to try for no good reason. No errors until Windows install tried to read the .oem file. Then, the first line blew a gasket.

I do not blame Dell. They are making a buck. I do not blame the programmers who wrote the utility. I don't even blame Sony for making a shit key drive. Sony never met an industry standard they didn't piss on. BetaMax mother fuckers that they are. I blame Microsoft for needing a frigging driver on install.

Knoppix brings the SCSI/SAS drives straight up. Red Hat does too.

I hate computers. I hate Microsoft. I hate Windows. My loathing Bill Gates is renewed. There is no redemption. There is only ugly angry loud vengeance. I will blog my hatred for all things Windows!!! Microsoft will pay. Feel the burn. All six of my readers will fart in your general direction.

No comments: