It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-11-27

4.3G

2008-11-25 I had a file on the internet side of things that needed to get to the internal side of things. It was 4.3 gigabytes. It was an ISO image file for an operating system. I tried copying it using a portable drive. The drive was formated in FAT32 which has a limit of 4G minus one byte. I would have to split it in Windows and join it in Linux so screw that. I would try to use the portable DVD burner we have access to, but A) the guy who has it locked in his office is on vacation and B) There are no known external machines with burning software. So, I find another portable drive formated in NTFS, which accepts the file just fine after I figure out that it will not go on the root folder and must be placed in a sub folder. Take it to the Linux box inside and bada-bing, no dice. Red Hat apparently does not come with the NTFS mounting kit installed. I don't know off the top of my head how to install it. Didn't Ubuntu just work with NTFS stuff? Seems I remember thinking how cool that was. I tracked down an internal Windows box and copy the ISO off to the network. Then, I use Samba to copy the file from that windows system to my Linux box. Then, I needed to get my work done. Ah, what we do in the name of security.

No comments: