It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-10-01

Inspector UPDATED

Keywords: hurricane Ike damage, inspector, flooring, fence, home repair, friends, family

No money on the back wall or carpet. The water came in around the windows and back door. We will get some money for the fence minus our deductible.  The roof is fine. No blue roof for us thank God.

Need to reseal the back door and windows. My father warned me I might need to do some additional sealing because the back door would settle. I knew full well the bedroom window did not have enough sealer.

We simply have to budget some silicone for the windows and doors. I plan on using that spray expanding foam my dad used. Spray in the cracks and then cover the cracks. I plan on it taking an entire day. I hope the walls and areas behind the cracks have had plenty of time to dry. They are getting sealed up soon.

As for the carpet, We are probably just going to put in some tile or linoleum in front of the back door. Nat wants wood, but that just doesn't last. We really want to do the entire living room and dining area. That sounds good to me. Don't know how we can afford it though. May have to find a way.

We got a check for about $2000. We have at least $5500 in repairs to do. I'm not sure I can get a loan for home repairs any time soon.

Some bullets

  • Some drywall needs to be replace (patched) around the back door. We need to dig in a bit and make sure mold is not growing in the wall.
  • Boards on the bedroom windows need replacing, probably the living room windows too.
  • Back door needs better sealing.
  • Roof is fine.
  • Fence may be repairable, but should be replaced.
  • The carpet at the back door needs to be refloored. Not carpet. We want tile or linoleum.
Some friends want to come over this Sunday and help at least get the fence to a presentable state. I hope to get my dad over before that for some advice. It is good to have family and friends.

Tonight I intend to address the bottom of the back door. I want to at least find out how the water got through the door. We sealed the bottom of that door like mad. I bet the water blew around the seal of the door itself instead of around the door frame. Tomorrow I hope to look at the sheet rock or continue on the door leak. After that comes the windows. New boards and a ton of foam should do the trick. One thing at a time. One thing at a time.

UPDATE

I siliconed and foamed the shit out of the back window and door. The cheap boards are warped. I need to find some real siding boards to replace them and then, I need to paint after I silicone.

No comments: