It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-06

Ken Park

I need someone else to watch Ken Park and tell me if it is a good movie. I like the movie. It is the only movie that consistently makes me uncomfortable that I like probably because of it.

In the first of many disturbing scenes, a man makes his daughter reenact a wedding scene.

Another scene has a father pee, the camera pans down just in case you didn't get what was going on, after driving home drunk. Then molest his son.

A grandson murders his grandparents while naked and aroused.

A young man masturbates with asphyxia while watching a video of women playing tennis.

One of the lesser disturbing plot points is that one young man is having sex with his girlfriend's mother. They have the most normal scene where they are all at the dinner table shooting the breeze. The unwitting father just wants to make the young man part of the family. The girlfriend seems pleased. The young man and mother have a secret. The little girl, the second daughter of the mother, has her own issues that the movie only hints about.

Then, there is the orgy-esk scenes towards the end. They are two guys and one girl, but they have a kind of party feeling. Not sure how to describe it. By the time you get here, you want the release of just having some kind of normal sex. You are glad this is going on because it is not disturbing really. There is pillow talk about dreams of escaping their small town hell mixed with sex.

I need to know if this is a good movie. I like it and I do not know why. I particularly like the last trivia bullet in the above IMDB link.

"UK distributor Hamish McAlpine dropped the film after Larry Clark punched him in the face at a celebratory dinner."

Normally I hate movies that make me feel uncomfortable just for the sake of making me giggle or shocked or squirm. This movie doesn't seem to be out to get me with the uncomfortableness. It just reports the happenings and lets me feel and think as I will.

No comments: