It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-12

Hurricane Ike

It is of course all that is on any channel. The casters are using every scary word they can think of to get people to get out or hunker down. They have already had stories about people who had a hard time leaving lower areas. East Houston is getting hit pretty hard already. They showed the sea wall. It is under breakers pretty often. The sun is still shining here. I doubt that will last.

People were hoping this hurricane would turn right like several others have done. Ike has made it far enough west that if it turns now, it will just hit Houston. That appears to be turning right ... right in to Houston.

Things to worry about now are water, electricity, city services, food, and stores not being open. I am so glad I left work early yesterday. Nat went out today and said everything is closed. She had to hunt down some last minute essentials and to top off the car. We got gas yesterday but only had enough cash on us to get 3/4 of a tank. I kept the receipt just in case we were being gouged.

The gas station was very interesting. My mother told us she turned off the main road and found a place that had gas and no line pretty easily. She is in Missouri City. We are just off Westheimer and every gas station was out of gas or had lines down the block. Nat nearly jumped from the car when someone tried to jump in front of her at the last second.

The only thing I wish we could have gotten that we ended up unable to get was a box of .45 ammunition. The bullets I have are on the old side. I'll have to remember to get some fresh rounds.

This storm could not have come at a worse time financially. We have a big credit card debt for us anyway. Between dance lessons and school stuff for Elle, paying off the Sam's card, and this storm, we are in the hole by a good amount. I'm telling you, Faire is looking iffy this year. I just ain't got the scratch

This is Kelly, Nat and Elle hunkering down. I'll blog while the power lasts.

No comments: