It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-26

Google Docs (revisited)

I would like to use google docs for editing my blog stuff, but I cannot. It will not let me save embedded objects. That is how you put videos on your site. I mean, you can't even save them that way. The code just goes away. This is one limitation of Google docs I can live with. There are plenty. Google docs definitely permits data retention. That is a real need of mine that I only just came to terms with.

Ike taught me that I need to rethink my personal document needs. I need a way to have my documents on demand from places where I can access the internet. Carrying a key-drive around is no substitute for access. Before I start this infinite data collection, I need to make sure I can download the information in a usable form and store it locally in case google goes the way of Enron and just drops from the scene over night.

  • Contacts
  • Doctor/medical information
    • Medication
    • Test results
    • Research and links.
  • House information
  • Computer information
  • Notes about dealing with places like the phone company and energy company et al.
    • Ticket numbers of events to establish a history of habitual crap that I want fixed.
  • Diary (log) of events.
    • When I call the owners or the county on the field next to my house.
    • When I call on Westheimer to get it mowed.
    • When I call the cops on the racers and the results.
The blog entries may not work, but for keeping notes about my life, Google docs should work fine.

No comments: