It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-29

Financial Catastrophe

Will the bailout work? Will our government drop a pare and bitch slap some of the billionaires who give all the correct representatives so much money every election season? Will people at the bottom tighten their belts? Will people in the middle and top tighten their belts? - I doubt it.

The way the commentates make it sound, we can expect a postapocalyptic crumble of all things that require money. They seem to take the Gremlin's advice and shout from th highest floor to invest in canned food and shotguns.

No company goes out of business for lack of prophet. They go out of business for running out of cash and credit to pay the bills. If a company can't make payroll, people stop working. If a company can't pay  the suppliers, they stop supplying. If the bank is willing to loan the company money for an extended period, the company goes in to huge debt, but stays in business for as long as the bank is willing to loan it cash or extend it credit.

When banks refuse to loan money because they are unsure of their own investment to back that loaned up, the whole system grinds to a halt. That is what the bailout is supposed to avoid. This is why the Great Depression started some time after the stock market  crash. Didn't it take a world war to get us out of the last depression?

Nat and I are broke. I've said I cannot go camping this year. I cannot afford tickets. I cannot afford all the camping crap we need. I cannot afford food and alcohol. I can certainly afford nothing inside the park. As much as I will hate missing out on the fun of hanging out with friends, I just can't do it. Nat is looking for a job at Faire to compensate her expenses.

Shit that happened recently
Ike $1000
Dance lessons $1000
Debt consolidation $550
Insurance deductible $1300
Other repairs $???

A bunch of shit is all hitting the fan at the same time. No fucking wonder so many people are going under.

No comments: