It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-08-12

One story to dominate them all

The Today Show podcast is devoted solely to the Olympics. I have not watched a single game all the way through. I've watched ten minutes of basketball actually. I hate it when there is one dominating story on every news outlet. Thank goodness for the Georgian war to break up the non-stop Olympic coverage. Thank you Russia. (I'm being sarcastic. Don't send me hate mail.).

I remember as a kid that the Watergate hearings kicked cartoons off the air for a couple of weeks during the summer. I was like six, but it pissed me off then too. Something similar happened during Wimbledon in the eighties. I distinctly remember two different channels playing tennis during Wimbledon back then. We only had five channels. The rest were playing day time TV that sucked. Again, cartoons were the first victims.

In this modern age, there are so many outlets for information that one would think the diversity of world events would shine through. This is not always the case. Every blog including mine is rattling off war coverage. The Today show and other specialty shows have taken a much needed break from election coverage to cover the Olympics.

Things like wars, plane crashes, sex scandals, Olympics and the like take the reins of global news for great swaths of time. Every outlet pores out the same tired facts and figures. They plagiarize each other's scoops.  Steel each other's informants.

I suppose MSM outlets feel they would be derelict in duty if they didn't at least hit the highlights. That is where blogs come in handy. Each entry can focus on a specific need, so you can make one detailed entry. Maybe even keep it up to date and then move on with other topics in additional entries. I have to say, it has been nice this election Olympic war Britney-running-for-president news cycle, having many so many places which to tern to get information about whatever you are interesting in at the moment. I mean, the Mayor of Detroit is in all kinds of trouble. Heard that on a podcast during most of this.

No comments: