It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-08-10

Gen Con 2008

I have some friends going to Gen Con 2008 next week. They are taking a couple of days of vacation to go play games for four days. Sounds like fun to me. I could not take it myself. I get my fix in my biweekly DnD gaming sessions. I do miss playing first person shooters. I run Linux and cannot get most games to run. The games I can get to run I'm not aloud to play.

For an event involving so many nerds, their web site sucks. Wikipedia has more information. One of these days, I might throw my hat in the ring just to go. Well, I hate to loose at games, and as bad as I am at them, it just wouldn't be fun. I have a hard time competing with my friends. Even when it is just a game, I have a hard time both loosing to them and winning against them. It just doesn't feel right either way. So, I do not play. That is why I like DnD because you cannot win. When you die, you roll up a better character. In our group, having an interesting character is more fun than an over powered character.

There is every kind of game in the world at Gen Con. Adam says you can find people playing a sort of 3D Star Trek space ship battle on clear tables with multiple levels. The next room has huge landscapes with armies running an invasion. The next has dragons and another has dozens of tables with people playing card tournaments.

I've never been. My friends do not believe in taking pictures. No one has time to take videos at these things.

No comments: