It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-07-09

RAM

My RAM came in. Three gigs makes the machine run great. The thing you notice by upgrading RAM is consistent performance. You know how you use a computer for a couple hours and as you open and close a bunch of stuff, the machine gets slower, right? Well, adding RAM holds this slowness off for longer periods of time. This is true for windows and Linux, but Linux seems to recover memory in my opinion where Windows just dies.

The change sped up my boot and I notice the machine just plane responds faster to everything. Even when I have twenty five windows open, I open the twenty sixth window and it just pops up like it is supposed to. Nat's RAM should come in pretty soon. I hope she has an even higher response.

My work computer has 512 mb of ram. It runs for weeks at a time. I use it for a bunch of terminals to other computers, VNC, spreadsheets, surfing three internal sites, listening to some music and a email. That is about it. I can't build software on it because it is too slow and will simply grind to a halt. For my home computer add to that the infinite limitations of the world wide web to inflict trouble, downloading podcasts, reading blogs (which involves opening sometimes thirty web pages in tabs of a single browser), listening to the computer read each blog's text to me, watching videos and movies, and the occasional editing of video.

Natalie's computer grinds to a crawl after three explorers pointing to MySpace pages are opened. She is running Vista. Going from one gig to three gig will help that situation. She might make it to <gasp> five windows.

No comments: