It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-06-06

Motorcycles

I saw a guy riding a small motorcycle. I'm hearing that scooter sales are going up. I've seen people riding scooters on Westheimer. They are quite brave. I wouldn't do it. I would want something that can out run the assholes.

The small motorcycle was red with a dirt bike look to it. That is about as close as I got. The rider could just as easily have been a woman as a man. He was small framed, warring a helmet and a jacket. I couldn't tell if he was warring boots or not. I have no idea why the rider attracted my attention. I'm positive I do not know this person.

This situation got me thinking about bikes. Several of my friends have motorcycles. More of them than ever are commuting with the two wheelers. My father tried it for a while, but his trip is too stressful for a bike really. I bet he ends up driving my Mom's Honda Accord by next year. My brother in law Trever is hanging out at our place until the land is ready. He rides a bike to work. He needed a jump at 04:30 or so this morning. He parks it in our garage next to the Corolla. Everything fits nicely.

One of my coworkers rides a bike in. He complains that if he passes me as I'm getting on the bus I beat him to clocking in. The difference is the parking garage. I don't know where he parks, but it takes him long enough to get through the garage up to the time clock to kill any advantage he gets over the bus's time. I just walk straight from the bus stop up to work.

The rider also made me think of the motorcycles my family used to own. They were straight four stroke dirt bikes. We road with some folks who had the street legal versions of our bikes. The street legal versions had more top end, but were a bit trickier on the hills because the gears were farther apart. The bike I saw this morning was probably a 125 or so. It was definitely a four stroke and street legal. We got rid of the dirt bikes after my father broke his leg on his. It was for the best.

Note: When I grew up, my English teachers instructed me to use 'he' in the case you do not know, or must assume the sex of a person. I was told specifically not to use 'he/she' or 'they' in this situation.

No comments: