It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-05-15

First Impressions of Fedora 9

Firefox 3.0 is pretty nice. I'll have to upgrade elsewhere. I deliberately didn't even look at the new Firefox until Fedora supported it because of all the hassle I had going from 1.5 to 2.0. I fluted 2.0 was working for me so far so I waited. One annoying thing is that Firefox comes to the front when you double click on an html file or send a link in from another program. This is annoying because I need to activate several links from my RSS aggregater  at once. The old Firefox let me. The new one tries to take my box over every link.

The screen saver fades correctly. It amazes me how much of a pain in the ass that flicker was.  Nat complained about it from the other side of the room. It was highly distracting. Hopefully that is the last of it.

KTTSMGR (KDE Text To Speech Manager)  has some issues. Things just sit there and don't start reading for a while sometimes. The CPU is at 100% and nothing is happening. The problem seems to be in the engine that actually does the rendering, not KTTSMGR. It does read the frigging HTML code half the time. That is a pain in the ass. It is still usable at the moment. I may complain more about this because I use text to speech daily.

Remember, I'm using an upgrade that kept my settings. For the most part everything looks similar, but different. Several programs simply went up a notch in version. Some buttons moved around and a couple things seem to be better. So far, nothing hits me as a drawback. The change seems incremental. Not much to write home about.

No comments: