It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-03-26

MS Windows still Sucks

I tried to update Red Hat Linux 4.4 to Red Hat Linux 4.6. It turns out you have to take the intermediate step of Red Hat Linux 4.5. That kind of killed my update. I have two other machines that are Red Hat 9 (this is way behind Red Hat 4.4, not newer (I know, I know)) So, I'm going to need the CDs for Red Hat Linux 5.1 which is the latest non-beta Red Hat for the moment. I track down the CDs we already have and it turns out that there is a separate boot CD and then there are 5 CDs with all the data on them. I tried five different ways to boot off that boot CD and then either use the data CDs or our internal FTP site. They all gave me errors. So, I need to download Red Hat 5.1 from Red Hat for my own use.

What does this have to do with the suckyness of Windows?

I have a Windows XP box at work that I tried the following process on.

  • Download 5 CD images.
  • Save the 5 CD images to a flash drive.

It took over four hours. It was all the box could do to download a couple files and copy them to a flash drive. The machine was at 100% the whole time. The screen would not rebuild properly because the box was so busy copying files. What the hell? At no time, on a computer made in the last ten years, should downloading and copying files eat a machine's lunch.

No comments: