It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-01-27

Question

Why do most nerds I know spell poorly? What causes good spelling and bad spelling? It has to be genetic. The rules are not absolute. I'm sure there are some nerds out there in who are closet spelling bee champions. I'm just asking.

I can't find anything on using Google about how spelling skills are related to medical conditions or genetics. There has probably been no research done in the field because the spell check lobby is far too powerful.

Spelling has been a bane on my life. I have suffered greatly by not having the gene that makes me a good speller. Being blind has stopped me from driving and being a pilot. I'm sure there are other things it does for and against me. The spelling thing is all negative. There is no good thing that comes out of being unable to spell.

All you have to do is read a couple paragraphs of this blog to know that my spelling is off it's meds. I've tried to do things to help. They have greatly. Things are still out of line. I'm almost 39 years old. I'm in a comfortable rut and I do not picture myself getting out of it any time soon. I suppose the view of this from on high is that it is not a problem . That is most likely due to the idea that most people who are successful can spell properly. I would like to have some real research on the tendency of successful folks to be able to spell. I know I have been ridiculed by friend and foe for not being able to spell. For spelling inconsistently. For being stupid because I cannot misspell the same word the same way in one text.

Spelling wasn't even a consideration until a couple hundred years ago. Some dope thought it would be a good idea to spell words consistently. I feel like I ware a scarlet letter. Or, a scarlet collection of letters in the wrong order. I will never write or report because I have trouble communicating in the box that I did not help define.

I'll still run the spell check software before I publish the blog or turn anything in to a superior. I'll still hate writing things down because I cannot run the spell checker. My spelling will still keep me where I am. I'm lost. Well, sometimes.

No comments: